Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Multiple topics!

Work!
This week has been incredibly productive! I have blogged so much for my Kandylane Photography Blog! I still have quite a bit to totally be caught up, but it is really coming along!

Cleaning & Kids

Yesterday I had a thought come into my head about cleaning. We have been doing pretty good, but we just cant seem to stay on top of some things. My kiddos are great and they do help out a lot, but I don't feel like anyone is ever offering to help out without being asked. I want them to learn how to willingly contribute as they grow up. I want to make sure that when they are married, they know that asking if their wife needs any help or even just to start to help without asking could make her a very happy women. We decided to switch things up a bit yesterday. I cleaned their (NASTY) bathroom from top to bottom and they cleaned the entire kitchen, living room and entryway......I promise it was a fair trade and took about the same amount of time. Even though we were all working, they were SO grateful that I did that for them and I was SO happy not to have to do down stairs. They both gave me big hugs and told me how amazing their bathroom looked and I did the same for them.

Changing things up a bit really helped us all see and appreciate the work each one of us does normally for each other. I am a big believer in teaching kids how to be active members of their family rather than just observers. Sometimes its easier to do it ourselves and get it done right the first time, but that's not doing them any good. It normally takes a lot of motivation and reminding....over and over and over and over again, but it'll be well worth it when we watch them grow into helpful, sustained, service oriented, hard working members of society and of their families!

Nutrition!

Some of you may know that over the past few years, I have become very interested in health and nutrition. Having many chronic issues like post nasal drip, aching bones, hyperactive nerves, irritated bladder (sorry, I know, TMI!), and a few more things, I have made it a goal to to figure out why I'm having these issues and kick them out the door!  I am definitely not perfect and I often fall back into bad habits, but overall I think I have been much better off. Those issues have significantly reduced since I have been more cautious of what I put into my body. I don't go totally crazy on organic stuff, although I know there are many benefits, but that can get very expensive....so I figure until I'm makin bank or have a large fruitful organic garden....I'll be sticking to the usual.

Back in September, after we moved into our new home, Andrew and I built a garden! I used the points I earned from using my Chase debit/credit card and was able to get $125 worth of Lowe's gift certificates! Boo-ya!! That was able to help with a the majority of my cost! Although its been 5 months and still have nothing large enough to harvest besides herbs, I have learned a ton and think I will be much better off this coming season. Unfortunately I bought treated wood (bad advise lumber guy!) and one day I will trade it all out. Composting has been on my mind for a while now I just haven't done anything about it. This week I have started to throw food away separately, and I'm determined to get that going soon. I think my garden might just be malnourished. Please don't send me to GPS (Garden Protective Services)! Haha....I'm a dork.


Las Vegas Garden
September 16th 2011

Las Vegas Garden
September 28 2011
Las Vegas Garden
November 23rd 2011



February 8, 2012- The Latest
Las Vegas Garden

Las Vegas Garden

Las Vegas Garden
Las Vegas Garden
Giant Peas
Las Vegas Garden
Nappa Cabbage Flowers

Las Vegas Garden
Romaine Lettuce
Las Vegas Garden
Marigold
Las Vegas Garden
Parsley
Las Vegas Garden
Cilantro
Las Vegas Garden
Mint
Las Vegas Garden

Las Vegas Garden
Broccoli

I have really become a fan of juicing!! I drink all kinds of weird juice! Right now I'm drinking, romaine, cucumber, celery, carrot, apple juice. Its really good, I promise. I cant wait til I'm using my own garden for it! but for now, I buy most everything in bulk from Sams Club. I did some of my own research today to help figure out the cost and amount of a couple good-juicing fruits and veggies. I'll throw it in here just cause.....

Pricing based on Sam's Club prices Feb. 8, 2012. (Not held responsible for prices changing)



I added the amount of pulp in there so that you can see that quite a bit can be wasted. BUT you can save a lot of it in freezer safe bags and use them in breads, muffins, cakes, lasagnas, sauces, salsas, etc! OR if you don't want to get all fancy with it, you can always put it towards your composting. I have found that spinach does NOT juice well. It spits almost everything back out. I will be updating this chart as I to more of my experiments :-).

OK I'm sure I could go on forever about this stuff, but I will save it for later :-)


Thank you so much for reading! Be back later!







No comments: